Tuesday 12 December 2006

"More butter please!"

What do you know about French cuisine?
Before I started my study at Le Cordon Bleu I didn't know much (I'm still learning :-) ). I knew something like - French cuisine is usually expensive one, delicious and it usually comes in small portions on big plates.
Do you know how much butter is in the dishes?!

"There are some kinds of French chefs: from North , South-East and South France - said our chef - Those from North regions use a lot of butter, from South-East use as butter so olive oil and those from South France regions mostly use olive oil so live longer :-) "
I am trying to conduct a healthy way of life - healthy food, be active and etc. That's what I'm trying to pass to my family members, but it not always works, but I keep trying :-).
My cooking are based on olive oil, there are some exceptions when I'm cooking for my daughter I put butter. Children have to get butter in their menu in order to growth and get all the vitamins.
And of course in pastry and cakes is always butter. It's cheaper to put margarine, but the taste is so different.
Actually my point of view on eating that we should eat everything we want, but only when we hungry and stop when we almost full. After long way of the war with weight and dieting I found this theory (with some help) to live without thinking about the food, e.g thinking about the food only when I hungry . But it's another story , may be I'll find the time to write about it later.
Back to French cuisine, all the recipes contain BUTTER. All souses are with at least 200gr of butter.
At one practical session when we cooked omelets a few students (I was one of them) put the olive oil into the pan and got the shout from the chef - "What are you doing??? The tradition of hundreds of years the omelets have been cooked in France on butter". So, we changed the pans.
But, I have to say, in spite the fact of my personal view on butter (I prefer an olive oil), the dishes are very tasty.
French Onion Soup
Chicken with mushroom cream sauce


Risotto Milanaise (with saffron and Parnesan cheese)
Calves Liver withh Onions, Sauteed potatoes
Supreme of Guinea Fowl stuffed with Provence Herbs, Tomato butter, courgette spaghetti
Meringue with creme Anglaise and carameliswd hazelnuts

No comments: